Tuesday 27 August 2013

Dreams And Little Angels

In the dark, the quiet dark, as I lie in my bed
Waiting for the dream weaver to come inside my head
Often I would contemplate on things I did today
Thoughts turned to this morning when I heard my moko say

‘Nanny, can I stay home please, I really don’t feel well
I sighed- oh here we go again, here comes the super sell!
I tried to get my focus as he eyed me with a frown
Making space as he slid underneath my eiderdown

‘I don’t feel very well and I’m feeling really funny,
It’s very sore and so’s my head so can I stay home Nanny?’
‘How about I write a note to Whaea Pam – okay?; 
tell her to excuse you from the swimming pool today?’

‘Ummm, ok Nanny but that means that I will have to go
and stay in Whaea Sally’s class and watch a video!’
‘Oh dear,’ I said ‘well maybe not, then best we call the doc -
and if we hurry we might get in before it’s nine o’clock!’

‘He just might say - you’ll be okay - to go to school today!’
And if he does then we can drop you off there right away
Not a word was spoken from the small lump in my bed
But I could hear the wheels of thinking turning in his head

Then from underneath the covers came this little squeak
Very muffled, very quiet, so I took a peek
Two big eyes, quite bright and clear were staring up at me
Not a trace upon that face of illness could I see 

I’m feeling better Nanny, so I think I’ll go to school
But I don’t want to go with Whaea to the swimming pool
I’ll write a note I said, and now it’s time to rise and shine
He’d rather go to school than to the doc’s - this imp of mine!

In the dark, the quiet dark, as I lie in my bed
Waiting for the dream weaver to come inside my head
As usual, before I sleep and start to drift away
I send a silent thank you for the blessings of my day.

2 comments: