Tuesday 4 December 2012

Summers And Lakes And Stuff

Summer holidays we’d all go swimming in the lake
Swimming togs already on, our towels were all we’d take
Only took two minutes walk to get right to the beach
Holidays at Nanny’s and the lake in easy reach
Nanny was a weaver and used *flax to make small kits
Use to watch her weaving, making magic from flax bits
Her flax baskets could be used for almost anything
She would sit upon the ground and as she worked she’d sing
She’d give us a small kit and wave us off and say have fun
we’d fill our kit with *koura for our lunch when we were done
Nothing could be sweeter than those summers from the past
In that moment everything was always going to last

Life is truly wonderful when one is only seven
Sun so warm, skies so blue and God is in his heaven

Not too long ago I took a drive back to the lake
Felt kind of nostalgic, took a look for old times sake
Stopped in to my Nanny’s place, a brother now lives there
Very changed, but still can feel my Nanny’s spirit near
As I stopped the car and took a long look at the lake
What I saw was devastating, gave me such heartache
Had to walk right to the water’s edge there was no sand
Now there’s all this rotting weed and empty soda cans
Floating on the water now an ugly shade of green;
stretching far as I could see a hazy, oily sheen
Happy memories are all that’s left for me to take
of holidays and summer days and swimming in the lake

1 comment: