Sunday 6 January 2013

Biculturalism A Threat?


I may be the one living within today 
But always my ancestry will have things to say 

Whenever there’s controversy in our lives 
In terms of the ignorance racism drives 

I turn to my past for the strength that lies there 
That inside those values are ‘taonga’ to share 

Descended from chiefs is my proud legacy 
I carry it proudly for the world to see 

Pre European our people were strong 
Proud to be Maori and proud to belong 

Enter another, extending a hand 
Mouths salivating with eyes on our land 

In good faith cultural exchanges were made 
Huge lands were sold and in blankets were paid 

Some land was stolen with no “may we please?” 
Our culture polluted with filth and disease 

Next comes this Treaty that my people signed 
A partnership built with two cultures in mind 

With clever wording the deal came across 
All that it celebrates is Maori loss 

More than a century later - for shame! 
All of a sudden - the Maori’s to blame? 

We are one people?..yeah right, never be!! 
Let’s put the blame where it rightly should be 

1 comment:

  1. The Great Divide.
    There's too much greed.
    For one to decide...

    ReplyDelete