Sunday 24 February 2013

Always Another Door Opens


This is a true experience I had once long ago 
Went for a swim at Sunset Beach out at Port Waikato 
My partner at the time, his brother and a girlfriend too 
Had packed ourselves some food we thought we’d have a barbeque 

The summer day was perfect - crowds enjoying the sunshine 
The Surf club guys were on patrol, yes! everything was fine 
My girlfriend said ”let’s go out for a swim”, I said “Okay!” 
We slipped into our bathers to the water made our way 

The water lapped around my hips as I walked deeper in 
The coolness was delicious took the heat from my hot skin 
From just behind I heard my girlfriend calling out to me 
But I was so happy frolicking out in the Tasman Sea 

Then suddenly the sand beneath my feet had disappeared 
The only thing I thought in those few seconds was “how weird?” 
But in that same few seconds I could feel my panic rise 
Out of my depth, I couldn’t swim, the tears flowed from my eyes 

I’d walked into an ocean rip - the ocean floor was gone 
There was no longer anything for me to stand upon 
I turned towards the beach only my girlfriend I could see 
She knew I was in trouble and tried to get hold of me 

I just kept drifting farther out and she was left behind 
I started taking water in, fear invading my mind 
Then suddenly I felt this change within my little space 
A strange amazing silence took the panic from that place 

I saw this lovely golden light, just shining everywhere 
I felt a great love enter me and take away my fear 
So warm I felt so happy floating in this golden glow 
It was a place from which I knew I’d never want to go 

Then out of nowhere came a pain like nothing I had known 
I was no longer in that lovely golden glowing zone 
Something was messing with my head all I could feel was pain 
Coughing, gasping, panic overtook me once again 

My eyes began to focus and I saw my boyfriend near 
Pulling me towards the beach – he’d grabbed me by my hair 
He’d seem my girlfriend’s distress and had rushed into the sea 
Disregarded his own safety to swim out and rescue me 

And so my life was saved that day been almost fifty years 
I learned a lovely truth that when we die there are no fears 
The moment we cross over there’s a sense of fear that's new 
But once we’re there, there is no fear - I know this to be true!.

2 comments: