Friday 1 February 2013

Tui In My Kowhai Tree

I saw a Tui yesterday high in my kowhai tree
I was enchanted by the bell like tones it sang for me

Keeping still I strained my eyes to catch a glimpse of him
Or maybe her, I wasn't sure, the light within was dim

It really is distinctive, the song of this lovely creature
Also known as parson bird, a white throat tuft its' feature

Feathers black but caught in sunlight; shots of varied greens
shimmering and shining as it poses, primps and preens

A yellow kowhai blossom slowly drifted to the ground
Connected with a thousand others scattered all around.

Dropped and scattered by this busy nectar sipping bird.
Fascinated, as I watched, it dropped a little turd;

However wearing birdy poop was worth the price to pay
To see that lovely Tui in my kowhai tree that day

No comments:

Post a Comment